The U.S. and South Korea will nearly halve a large-scale annual joint military exercise that began this week, the Pentagon and Seoul said Wednesday, after U.S. President Donald Trump called for ¡°substantially¡± scaling down the drills.
¡°Based on direction from the President and Secretary of War, the Department has substantially reduced Exercise Ulchi Freedom Shield while continuing training that enhances tactical capability,¡± a U.S. Defense Department official said in a statement. ¡°The exercise will conclude on Aug. 21, one week earlier than scheduled.¡±?
The official said that live-training events had been reduced, with certain events canceled or converted to simulations.
With your current subscription plan you can comment on stories. However, before writing your first comment, please create a display name in the Profile section of your subscriber account page.